[governance] Papers by Everton Lucero

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Sep 12 09:17:15 EDT 2007

Bertrand, thanks for mentioning this.

At 11:25 AM +0200 9/12/07, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I just want to call your attention to two
>documents (attached below) that have been
>presented by Everton Lucero (from th Brazilian
>Government), in his new capacity as special
>advisor to the brazilian co-Chair of the MAG.
>
>As far as I understand, this is therefore not a
>formal presentation by the Brazilian Government.
>One paper deals with the MAG, its role,
>composition and procedures. the other one is
>about the Rio meeting itself and what is
>expected of it.
>
>The papers were introduced at the end of the MAG
>meeting, which did not allow the MAG to discuss
>it.

And many members had already left by the time the
papers were introduced. I've been told the
reaction of most MAG members who were left was
not positive.  I wasn't at the meeting on
Wednesday so missed all the fun.

>The papers are public, through two links at the
>end of the secretariat report on the MAG meeting
>last week in Geneva that has recently been
>posted on the IGF site. As the links were hard
>to open on my computer, and many of you may not
>have seen the reference to these documents, I
>thought it would be useful to call attention to
>them.
>
>It is an important input to take into account in
>the discussion within IGC on these issues.

I understand other stakeholders will be
submitting responses, either individually or as
stakeholder groups. Expect some will be public
some perhaps only to the MAG list.  I already
sent comments, and copied them to the caucus list
(copied again below), I think it would be helpful
if we began to think about a response to the
issues Everton raises.

I feel very uncomfortable with these papers being
published as part of the MAG output -- departure
from normal process, and I imagine they must be
causing some confusion with people perhaps
wondering if they reflect some opinion of the
advisory group or not.  To be clear, they were
not agreed by the advisory group, to the best of
my knowledge do not reflect anyone's thinking
except Everton's and perhaps the govt of Brazil
(would expect Mr. Vianna, the new co-chair, to
agree to anything one of his advisors publishes?)

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org