[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Sep 10 08:37:35 EDT 2007

At 11:43 AM -0400 9/8/07, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>There are people (governmental and business
>interests and some in the technical community)
>who want to prevent discussion of cIr,

I don't think that's correct, or if it is then
it's a very few people (perhaps one person voice
such an opinion in the recent meetings, the rest
seem to see it as a legitimate subject.)

>or, failing that, neuter it, divert it or stack the deck.

This might be correct, and perhaps has been
achieved by deciding discussion of CIR would
follow the format of the the WGIG report
paragraph 13 a:

"Issues relating to infrastructure and the
management of critical Internet resources,
including administration of the domain name
system and Internet protocol addresses (IP
addresses), administration of the root server
system, technical standards, peering and
interconnection, telecommunications
infrastructure, including innovative and
convergent technologies, as well as
multilingualization."

But support for using this interpretation was
pretty much unanimous (best I remember no one in
the AG spoke against it.)  I think China proposed
using 13 a in the open consultation last Monday.
Odd world...

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org