[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Sep 8 03:28:00 EDT 2007

While it is true that discussions on access and discussion on
> critical internet resourses don't exclude each other, it is also true
> that public attention is limited. During WSIS, the debate on Internet
> Governance was so dominant that other controversial issues such as the
> financing of ICTs never got the attention it deserved. This is why I
> understand that people fear debates on CIR.

Jeannette

But, do you find something strange in the fact that all those who were
thoroughly involved in 'financing ICTD' debates and other related processes
during the WSIS ARE the ones now calling for a discussion on CIRs (if you
want I can list them out), and all those who say CIRs should not be
discussed just because it may take attention away from the more important
issue of access were NOWHERE to be seen in the WSIS financing debates (I can
also list them)...

I can also tell you that many of the most vocal in this current 'access is
more important than CIRs' campaign (I refer mainly to the private sector,
but also some others) actually sabotaged the 'financing ICTD' debates and
possibilities of concrete action and follow up etc.... So, you can hardly
blame us if our primary feeling towards this campaign is of being amused,
and our language on this matter sometimes takes a somewhat sharp edge.

And I also have in my recent email asked all those with this new interest in
access and financing (which is all about different models) what have they to
say about the removal of key points from 'access' agenda where models
alternative to the dominant ones (including community owned and community
based one, and those involving public finance - both terms, directly taken
from the WSIS texts), are sought to be discussed as well. How does
throttling such discussion impact 'access' and financing ICTD for the
benefits of those currently excluded.

What are your views on this, and well, those of others of the 'access is
more important than CIRs' campaign?

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore