[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Sep 7 15:23:34 EDT 2007

Milton,
you know how much I respect you, but here I have to bring the
perspective of someone who knows the "other side of the story". And
that is, that for the developing countries it is an issue about
access - access to information, but also affordability, freedom of
this access, etc.
However, there's one big issue, which is that - still - the
developing countries pay more to the developed ones for their access
to the Internet, and that is the big issue. I certainly believe that
IP addresses may have some importance, but it's nothing compared to
the prices poor and underdeveloped countries (and users) pay to the
rich countries in order just to get to the leased line (or the
fiber-optic, wherever it exists).

So, while you say that the international issues are different from
the ones I described above, it may be true only from your perspective
- of an US professor. For your colleagues in Africa, Asia, South
America, Southeastern Europe... the important questions are not the
ones you care about.

To believe that the "organic domestic economic growth that produces
viable relations among suppliers and consumers of Internet services."
is just to believe in market economy only, without taking into
account that sometimes the countries may not have stable economic
growth for a number of reasons, and in many cases the Internet users
(consumers as you name them) don't really have a choice, but to use
the state-owned monopolist.

Hope that this note will make you re-arrange your priorities, esp.
that you have a project that is talking about Internet governance.

best,
Veni

At 15:03 9/7/2007  -0400, you wrote:

> [...]

Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog:
http://blog.veni.com

The opinions expressed above are those of the author,
not of any organizations, associated with or related to
the author in any given way.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org