[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Sep 7 15:39:04 EDT 2007

Carlos,

At 16:15 9/7/2007  -0300, you wrote:
>part of the business community, the US government and the people
>linked to the current global logical infrastructure governance
>system -- which, at the IGF, act practically as one voice.

Perhaps you'd like to find a way to beg the pardon of a number of
governments with this statement? Certainly the USG voice is heard,
but so are the voices of other countries, countries ranging from
Australia to Japan, and from Canada to the EU-members, who do not
share your views about the 1-sided world.
On the other hand, if I use your argument, I may (just may) ask some
people why are they opposing the fact that developing countries are
more interested in having affordable access to the Internet, rather
than low-cost domains or endless IP addresses?

To say that someone is afraid of a discussion forum is not naive,
it's aiming at the wrong direction. There's no fear from the IGF - as
far as I can see - anywhere, except probably among the people who
make their living out of organizing big UN conferences;) My personal
views (as always in this list) are that we waste time and money in
debating issues which are relevant only for a small group of people
and countries, while the vast majority have completely different agenda.
When someone has an "anti-" agenda, that's a weak agenda. The only
strong agenda is the "pro-" one. Or in other words - it's easier to
destruct, than to construct. You could trust me on that, as coming
from a country which was mainly anti-West oriented and then going
into the other side, of being anti-East. Neither of those worked
well. It worked really well, on the other hand, when we started to
have a pro-EU discussion. The results are visible, even for people
who don't know well Bulgaria.

So, my proposal is to focus on the real issues, and stop wasting time
about conspiracy theories how there are people who are afraid of the IGF.

veni

Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com

check also my blog:
http://blog.veni.com

The opinions expressed above are those of the author,
not of any organizations, associated with or related to
the author in any given way.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org