[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Sep 7 07:29:47 EDT 2007

Karl,

At 20:28 9/6/2007  -0700, you wrote:
>Kieren McCarthy wrote:
>
>>The general public aren't really interested in ICANN's work, sadly.
>
>Which is quite a different thing than saying that the general public
>is not deeply affected by ICANN's work.

Yes, it is different. And the problem is that only some people see
the difference. The general public doesn't know ICANN exists (and
that's good - means ICANN is doing its job), and doesn't care about
ICANN. Of course, you have to remember that the general publis is not
only the citizens of the USA, who have different views on democracy
than the rest of the world, as we all would agree.
So, I don't think it's the lack of directly elected representative
that makes the general public ignorent about ICANN. It's the new
culture, the Internet culture, which makes that knowledge irrelevant
for the people. It has meaning only for a few experts and geeks,
besides the people who have some (business) interest in the ICANN work.
It's just a different time today, on the Internet; the old political
culture has not that meaning as it used to, and people have to
adequately address that, if they want to reach broader audiences.

veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org