[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Sep 6 23:28:26 EDT 2007

Kieren McCarthy wrote:

> The general public aren't really interested in ICANN's work, sadly.

Which is quite a different thing than saying that the general public is
not deeply affected by ICANN's work.

And from that hangs tale and a lesson for internet governance: That to
be effective internet governance must remain legitimate in the eyes of
its beneficiaries, the community of internet users.  And to obtain and
retain such legitimacy, bodies of internet governance must do more than
merely provide web-based bulletin boards that go unread and unanswered
by those who actually get to make choices.

To obtain and retain legitimacy a body of internet governance must
actually consider and respond, and be seen considering and responding,
to the questions and opinions it receives.

When I was on the ICANN board, I received a lot of input.  Much of it
was diffuse or unclear.  I had to spend time interacting with people to
comprehend what they were saying, discovering what it was they were
actually trying to express.

The absence of even that minimal level of feedback from ICANN - feedback
needed to clarify what the comments mean - suggests that commentary to
ICANN is commentary wasted.

The public once had a partial but vibrant voice in ICANN.  ICANN
strangled it and replaced it with a company puppet that remains alive
only through financial life support from ICANN.

So it is no wonder that the general public stays away from ICANN.

New bodies of internet governance should be structurally obligated to
meaningfully interact with, and respond to public input.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org