[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 6 13:33:34 EDT 2007

>in the field of technopolicy this is even more prevalent since
> it is impossible, i believe, to do technopolicy without understanding
> both technology and policy.  and, again in my view, there as as many
> of us dabbling in technopolicy who don't understand technology as
> there are who don't understand policy.

This is true. But since policy in such an important area as the Internet
remains important, what do you think we should do? The balance, as you say
is needed, and therefore which way we move will depend on where we stand. Is
it not true that CIR related polices is now disproportionately in hands of
those who may understand technology better than they do policy (leaving the
'capture' element spoken of by Guru out since this element involves actors
who understand the power of policy very well, and misuse it thoroughly). So
we need more policy expertise to bear upon this area, and thus the needed
discussion at IGF, which was created a public policy discussion forum...
that's a good reason for getting CIR governance discussion to the IGF.

Secondly, the issue of getting an item on agenda at the IGF is not only a
matter of calling upon expertise on the involved issues - technical or
policy related - but as much of legitimacy of the manner in which these
issues are discussed and handled by bringing in the engagement of a wider
stakeholder group... I think we need the balance between expertise aspect
and representation/ legitimacy aspect of governance. This is the second good
reason for discussing CIRs at the IGF...

And we must also remember the connection between reason one above (balance
of expertise) and reason two (political legitimacy).... this is abput how
political ideologies get easily wrapped in 'expertise' dispensation... You
may have heard of 'Californian ideology' - a term that tries to capture the
dominant ideology among techies and technocrats. A real world exposure to
other world ideologies at the IGF can only help us get a more balanced view
of things - the issue of CIR governance in this case.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890