[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 6 01:41:37 EDT 2007

McTim wrote:

> > somebody from the IANA (David Conrad?)
> > somebody from the RIR communities (Alain Aina?)
> > somebody from the IETF side (Lynn St. Amour? Brian Carpenter?)
> > somebody from an IPv6 NGO (Jordi Palet?)
> > somebody from a rootserver (Paul Vixie/Dan Karrenberg?)
> > somebody from the CS/.org domain field (Alexa Raad?)

Also one may wonder why so many who thought and opined (judging from their
organizational affiliations) that CIR was not important to discuss at the
IGF and we shd instead be discussing 'access', till CIR finally came on the
agenda despite them, are now keen to be speakers on the CIR issue (or,
rather, others are keen on their behalf).

Is it that while they still think CIRs do not constitute an important area
of public policy to discuss at the IGF, they need to be there to counter
some conspiratorial attempts that may be made using the avenue of open
discussions on CIRs. In this case, in line with my email on 'who is afraid
of the IGF', lets discuss those fears and 'conspiracy designs' openly than
through some proxy arguments in the main session on CIRs. This will make for
much more transparent, informed and possibly fruitful discussions rather
than hearing on and on the assertion that CIR governance is a special case
that needs to be shielded from public policy.

I say this only as a point to ponder.... with no intention to decry people
and their points of view.

Disclaimer: I do not know the people whose names have been suggested,
neither about their expertise and work. I am sure these persons, since
McTim, who has been around in this area for long, is suggesting them, must
be very capable people and should be speaking at the IGF.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890