[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Sep 5 18:19:10 EDT 2007

Parminder wrote:

> I Agree. And would like an examination of and a good discussion on what is
> it exactly that threatens the Internet community.

1. An overriding exclusion of living, breathing people, or their chosen
delegates from the process of making decisions.  Already ICANN is
sucking nearly $500,000,000 (US) every year out of the pockets of
internet users (and putting it into the pockets of registries) without
providing any way for those users to have a meaningful voice.

The word "stakeholder" should be stricken from the vocabulary of
governance and replaced with explicit statements of who are the intended
beneficiaries and intended actors with the power of making choices.

2. An absence of legitimacy - Governance bodies are being proposed
without any source of authority.  The essence of governance is the
ability to say "no" to things that may otherwise be lawful and
permissable.  Proper governance requires a clear foundation of authority
from some well accepted source, or the exercise of authority in a well
practiced, uncontested, and beneficial manner for enough time (decades,
if not longer).  ICANN, again being the model for how things ought not
to be done, is floating, like Swift's Laputa (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laputa ), over the internet without any
source of authority except its own self say so and in likely
contravention to laws in several nations against such self
aggrandizements of authority (i.e. laws against anti-competitive practices.)

3. Fragmentation of the net:  The net is slowly being fractured into
fiefdoms of providers, fiefdoms of protocols, fiefdoms of content
(usually along national boundaries).  This tendency is increased by
anti-spam and packet blocking filters that are rarely reviewed and even
more rarely removed: whole parts of the network address space, both of
IP address and domain names, have become contaminated and largely
useless as a result.

4. Elimination of best-effort transport.  Providers are imposing data
constrictive mechanisms in order to degrade competition to their own
products.  This will ultimately result in users being able to obtain
adequate service levels only across a single provider.  The net will
resemble a country in which super highways end at city or country
borders and are not interconnected across those boundaries.

4a. The corollary to #4 above is that those who have applications that
require end-to-end services, such as conversational VoIP, may find it
difficult to obtain the end-to-end packet delivery service quality
needed to sustain the application.

5. Critical resource starvation.  Already IPv4 addresses are becoming
scare and those of us who have blocks of addresses are prevented from
redistributing those addresses on a market driven basis.  IPv6
addresses, although IPv6 has 2**96 times as much space as IPv4, may
prove too expensive or too wrapped in paperwork for them to be available
to end users.  The net effect (pun intended) can be a lock-in of
customers to providers because of the difficulty of obtaining alternate
address space, or more likely, bearing the cost of renumbering.

(We may also face routing starvation of a sort as the number of
destination prefixes reaches, and perhaps exceeds, the capacity of
existing routing equipment and the flux of routing change begins to
excede the rate at which those changes can be propagated and digested.)

Note: IP address policy is an extremely difficult area that, unlike
domain names, is filled with real technical concerns and limitations
with strong effects on policy.  The RIRs have been doing a reasonable
job of navigating these waters, but their viewpoint tends to be more
heavily focused on provider needs rather than end-user needs.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org