[governance] what is it that threatens the Internet community or 'who is afraid of the IGF'

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Sep 5 09:21:17 EDT 2007

Carrying on from my own email

> The other two issues that took a great amount of the time, with most
> contributions for the technical and business community (on these issues,
> MAG
> members from these groups spoke most of the time, when as Anriette
> observed
> in her statement they should have focused more on listening), were
>
> (1) why the session on CIR should of a very different quality than other
> sessions
>
> (2) what are the problems with a recommendation giving power for IGF
>
> Both these issues are such on which a statement on behalf of the IGC could
> only be made on the after a good amount of online discussions, if so.
>
> So hoping for more life on the IGC list :)
>
> Parminder

Meanwhile, I cannot understand why some groups spend so much energy on
trying to shape - or put out of any shape - a discussion session on CIRs....
So much was spoken during the consultations on how this session should be
treated in a manner different from other main sessions, and frankly, I could
not really understand even one argument well..... It may be my ignorance and
inaptitude but they seem to be putting some meaningless argument or other to
push this very illogical thing that a CIR main session should be different
(basically ineffectual).

Quoting Vittorio's earlier comment on the discussion on IGC taking a
pro-active role to come up with IGF mandate and structure related proposals

>finding a way to implement the mandate that is not threatening to the
>Internet community, and ensuring some clarity, >transparency and democracy
>in the internal procedures of the IGF.

I Agree. And would like an examination of and a good discussion on what is
it exactly that threatens the Internet community. Lets discuss real issues,
perspectives and fears out in the open rather than using proxy arguments.
The Internet community and the business sectors strongly supported more
transparency during the open consultations... transparency starts with
stating upfront real issues/ concerns/ fears rather than masquerading them
in arguments that look quite untenable.

The session that is most important to be held is - What is it that threatens
the Internet community or 'Who is afraid of the IGF' and why?

Why so much energy invested in keeping a discussion on CIRs out, and now
when it is in, to shape/ distort the session towards ineffectuality.

Why a simple annual IGF report, set of recommendations, a communiqué or any
such thing that fulfills the corresponding part of Tunis agenda for the IGF
look SO threatening? Even if it is a wrong thing to do, what are the REAL
fears? It is of IGF getting hamstrung to do other work it needs to do. But
then many (not all) who now oppose recommendation have not initially been
enthusiastic about the IGF as a public policy discussion space at all
(remember the last phase of the WSIS). So why such exaggerated fear of IGF
getting unable to do its basic work, and becoming ineffective. Or is the
fear that governments will capture recommendation-making activity. I don’t
see how this can happen given the present structure of the IGF? (I may be
wrong on this, and, in that case, I will like someone to build the 'bad'
scenario for me)....Or does IGF not represent the only global space where
non-government actors can be equal partners in giving policy
recommendations.

The structures and systems may need to evolve, and we may only be able to
agree on a very few things to start with, but why not try... Why kill the
first and the only multistakeholder global policy recommendation giving
body?

Frank and open discussions alone help move things forward. One side may
realize some things which may be genuine to fear, and the other may find
that certain fears may not be so justified.

It will be very useful to discuss this issue on this list itself, since
quite a diversity of views around this matter are represented here.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890