[governance] Speakers for IGF - ideas?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Sep 3 12:27:57 EDT 2007

Some time very soon someone will need to decide on speakers for the
IGF main sessions.

The IGF in Rio starts in about 10 weeks, there is no money to bring
people (to the best of my knowledge.)  There was general sense from
the review of the Athens IGF that panels should be smaller, 4, 5 or 6
people, not the 12-16 we saw in Athens.

The panels must be acceptable to all stakeholders, we should all feel
our views have an opportunity to be represented.  Somehow these 4, 5
or 6 people should represent stakeholder, gender, geographic
diversity, and of course be expert on the issues.

It would be very helpful to hear suggestions as to how to form these
panels. Perhaps we will be able to find panelists from among the
workshop participants? Or, can we --the caucus and others-- suggest
individuals, expert on Critical Internet Resources, Access, Security,
Openness and Diversity, for these panels?

Anyone suggested should already be planning to be in Rio.

Ideas much appreciated.

There is not time for a neat, open, democratic process. Time ran out
with the delay in renewing the MAG's membership.  And I don't know
how the advisory group's discussions on speaker selection will pan
out over the next two days.  So if we make suggestions I can't make
any promise they'll be accepted.  But we can try, and apologies in
advance if the suggestions can't be taken up.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org