[governance] Russia plans to create independent web / internet

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Mon Oct 22 17:43:24 EDT 2007

At 14:02 10/22/2007  -0700, you wrote:
>Very interesting - all the articles including the one on Wired.com.  Evidently
>this is a network that is only based in Russia - like a tree whose
>trunk is the only visible thing -
>the roots going too far and wide and the branches spreading too far
>and wide...
>
>Maybe by the time we read this, the reorganization of network
>'members' may already have been
>concluded.
>
>Question though: what is the correlation of a country's transparency
>index to its cybersecurity?

There are other questions, too:
e.g. if they have not been able to solve some of their national
problems vis-a-vis Internet as described in the article, can they try
to solve the global problems [first]? I think one of the message we
are bringing this year to Russia is that they can't continue to be
part of the landscape, and believe that this is solving the problems
of the Internet. When ISOC, ICANN, the IETF and others are suggesting
larger participation of Russian engineers, officials, users, in the
huge Internet arena, we do it, because we know it's good for the
Internet users in Russia, but also - it makes the whole country
allied with the most high-tech developed countries. The Russian
engineers are good, so instead of using their skills for good things,
among other to participate in the drafting of the RFCs, in the
meetings of the IETF, in the international Internet forums, why waste
them in activities, which are illegal. I am positive that sooner or
later the Russians will understand there are ways to contribute, even
if the country as a whole is not a high-tech one; the best way to do
it is with the brains of your engineers.

Veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org