[governance] Russia plans to create independent web / internet

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Mon Oct 22 16:21:38 EDT 2007

the response of the Russians:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2007/10/russian_business_network_respo.html?nav=rss_blog

An individual claiming to represent the Russian Business Network has
denied media reports (including
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/12/AR2007101202461.html>a
Washington Post story I wrote that ran last week) the company
provides Web hosting services to numerous cyber criminal operations.

Experts quoted in my story and others, the RBN representative said,
were essentially wrong in their assessments. The response via a
<http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2007/10/russian_network>Wired.com
article by Ryan Singel, wherein a guy calling himself Tim Jaret had
this to say:

"We can't understand on which basis these organizations have such an
opinion about our company," Jaret of the Russian Business Network
told Wired in an e-mail interview. "We can say that this is
subjective opinion based on these organizations' guesswork."

Jaret told Wired that RBN has made efforts to respond to complaints
of wrongdoing on its network. RBN's representative said the
organization even tried unsuccessfully to work with anti-spam group
<http://www.spamhaus.org/>Spamhaus, which currently includes all
2,048 of RBN's Internet addresses
<http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/listing.lasso?-op=cn&spammer=Russian%20Business%20Network>on
its blacklist of known bad guys. Spamhaus says RBN is "noted for
continuously hosting child pornography, malware, phishing and
cybercrime, and it details information suggesting ties between known
spammers and the St. Petersburg-based ISP.

First of all, Spamhaus doesn't so much work with ISPs and known
malicious hosting providers as it does eventually de-list those that
clean up their act. The fact that RBN's networks have been so
prominently listed on Spamhaus' various blacklists for so long
suggests that a great deal of malicious activity is still emanating
from the organization's various networks.

Faced with such statements, perhaps it makes sense to ask which of
the two scenarios seems more likely: That dozens of the world's
leading computer crime and Internet security experts are simply wrong
in pinning this activity on sites hosted by the Russian Business
Network? Or that RBN is simply trying to throw up a smoke screen?

John Bambenek, a security incident handler with the
<http://isc.sans.org/>SANS Internet Storm Center, which tracks
hacking trends, called RBN's belated defense laughable.

"They're about as misunderstood as a senator soliciting sexual favors
in an airport bathroom," Bambenek said. "When most of the world's
cyber-miscreants are paying 10 times more for hosting on your
network, you don't attract the business by accident"

Bambenek is referring to the starting prices that security giant
Verisign said RBN charges for so-called "bulletproof hosting," or Web
hosting for illegal sites that remain reachable regardless of the
level of legal or technical pressure brought to bear on them. As I
noted in my story, $600 is about ten times the amount most legitimate
Web hosting providers charge per month for a dedicated Web site.

Jaret from RBN told Wired that the organization in fact "doesn't have
any more criminal activity on its network than any other provider,
and it responds to abuse reports submitted via e-mail and a telephone
hotline. He claims the organization closes criminals' sites down
within 24 hours of notification."

Interestingly, a tidbit from my interview with a Verisign analyst
that didn't make it into the final story indicates that rather than
shutting down domains that generate complaints, RBN has in the past
chosen simply to up the price charged to the criminal groups that
have rented Web space from the network.

Perhaps the most telling statement from RBN thus far comes at the end
of the Wired article, in which Wired News asked RBN to provide the
URLs for some legitimate customers. "Jaret says he couldn't oblige --
for legal reasons."