[governance] Up date on renewal of GAID structures (Strategy Council and Steering Committee)

CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam wsis at ngocongo.org
Mon Oct 22 13:13:28 EDT 2007

Dear all,

As indicated in my previous e-mails, the renewal of the membership of GAID
structures was postponed, to allow for greater consultation among
stakeholders' groups. The deadline for nominations is 30 November 2007. We
therefore have until that date to come out with a CS self-organised
recommendation on the membership of both the Steering Committee and the
Strategy Council. Is there anyone among you willing to moderate any of these
self-nomination processes?

Our problem so far is that we have not yet any idea of who, among the
outgoing StratC and Steering Committee members, will be maintained and which
ones will go out. The GAID Secretariat had asked all outgoing members to
express their interest to continue.

As regards the Steering Committee, I understood that both Titi and Renate
informed the GAID Secretariat of their interest to continue one more year.
But there is no more information so far on who would stay on Board. There
were also some discussions on whether the Steering Committee membership
should be increased to 12 members (currently 10), but there is not yet any
definite information on this (hopefully this would be one more for CS).

As for the Strategy Council, it is understood that approximately one-third
of the membership should rotate. But I have very little information of who
expressed the willingness to continue. Out of 10 CS members so far, this
would mean that 3 or 4 new members should be identified. But the deadline
for expression of renewal by outgoing members is also 30 November, meaning
that we would not be able to know before 30 Nov. who would go out.

We would anyway need to have 2 parallel processes to go with by 30 November,
in identifying one individual for the Steering Committee membership. Any
process such as this one would approximately need one month to be finalised,
so that we need to start both no later that end October (next week!).

A note by the GAID secretariat might be circulated soon, but I preferred to
forward you what we knew so far!

Let me remind that the deadlines for the nominations and appointment
processes are as follows:

GAID Steering Committee

GAID Strategy Council

Deadline for expression of renewal by outgoing members

Deadline for new nominations for membership

Announcement of the Appointment of new members

End of December 2007

End of December 2007

Office taking of the new members

Date of the GAID structure with its renewed membership

May 2008

Kuala Lumpur

May 2008

Kuala Lumpur

All the best,

Philippe

Philippe Dam
11, Avenue de la Paix
CH-1202 Geneva
Tel: +41 22 301 1000
Fax: +41 22 301 2000
E-mail:  <mailto:wsis at ngocongo.org> wsis at ngocongo.org
Website:  <blocked::http://www.ngocongo.org> www.ngocongo.org

The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, membership association
that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and
decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the
presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United
Nations agencies on issues of global concern.  For more information see our
website at www.ngocongo.org <blocked::http://www.ngocongo.org/>