Privacy was Re: [governance] Who will be in Rio?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Oct 9 08:21:43 EDT 2007

Rui Correia <correia.rui at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having said that - and unless I missed it, has not been mentioned so far -
> perhaps there is a need for privacy in some cases: we do know of members of
> this caucus and other caucuses that are not as free to come and go and say
> with impunity where they have been as the rest of us. Then again, not having
> your name on a public list might be little comfort, when agents of the
> regimes that they seek to outmanoeuvre are most likely to be present in Rio
> and any other future event.
>
> So, to be or not to be ... on a public list

In view of the fact that fundamental human rights such as freedom of
opinion are not respected in all parts of the world, maybe it would
be worthwhile to explore the idea of countries which have a strong
tradition of supporting these human rights offering pseudonymous
identities to people who have cause to fear persecution in their own
countries for expressing legitimate opinions and viewpoints.

Something like a virtual refugee status.

This kind of governmentally endorsed pseudonym would then entitle to
pseudonymous participation at conferences like the IGF, and it would
also entitle the person with virtual refugee status to some kinds of
assistance from embassies of the country which has granted this.

Dumb idea?

Good idea?

Greetings,
Norbert.