[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 00:41:23 EDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> McTim:
> You're right, the TA is vague and even sloppy on this question.
>
> As you point out, para 58 speaks as if CIR were something other than names and addresses. That is the worst example.
>
> Para 70 is more coherent. That is the EU's work. It was clear from their "enhanced cooperation" proposal during WSIS that they wanted "policy principles" for the governance of names and addresses. This is documented in their proposal.
>
> And, during the debate over whether to include CIR in the IGF agenda, it was clear that it meant primarily names and addresses.
>
> As for routing tables, that was my stab at recognizing the strong relationship between address allocation and routing, particularly route aggregation, which I'm sure you understand more or less.

So are slots in the "global routing table" a CIR? If so, which
organisation(s) would have policy authority over them?  Are you
suggesting that slots themselves should be somehow
allocated/assigned/leased/sold??

I do understand route aggregation, I just don't understand what the
IGF has to do with it.

--
Cheers,

McTim