[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Oct 2 11:58:22 EDT 2007

McTim:
You're right, the TA is vague and even sloppy on this question.

As you point out, para 58 speaks as if CIR were something other than names and addresses. That is the worst example.

Para 70 is more coherent. That is the EU's work. It was clear from their "enhanced cooperation" proposal during WSIS that they wanted "policy principles" for the governance of names and addresses. This is documented in their proposal.

And, during the debate over whether to include CIR in the IGF agenda, it was clear that it meant primarily names and addresses.

As for routing tables, that was my stab at recognizing the strong relationship between address allocation and routing, particularly route aggregation, which I'm sure you understand more or less.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org