[governance] Rwanda and media

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Oct 3 15:35:04 EDT 2007

I agree with Rony. And I would ask advocates of media restrictions whether they believe that the existence of government rules regulating the media in Rwanda would have prevented the genocide. Who would have promulgated, monitored and enforced those rules in Rwanda? Which ethnic faction? Which independent judges? When the state is nothing but an armed gang, and all disputes are settled by force, the idea that the media can be regulated to enforce civility is self-evidently nonsensical. In those cases, media regulations simply become another tool for the dominant party to oppress the others. Look at how Hugo Chavez is using media licensing rules in Venezuela.

   _____

From: KovenRonald at aol.com [mailto:KovenRonald at aol.com]

RMC was in fact a weapon in a civil war, and it would have been justified to bomb it out of existence if it could have been found.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.