[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Mon Oct 1 11:52:12 EDT 2007

On 1 okt 2007, at 15.51, Lee McKnight wrote:

> I understand the auction method we advocated has been rejected for a
> beauty contest approach of picking winners and losers.

as far as i know, or hope.  no method has been thrown out.  all
methods seem to have problems.

- beauty contest as you mention involve the eye of the beholders.
- auctions favor the rich.
- lotteries have legal constraints. (my favorite - when something is
already unpredictable might as well let the fates decide. personally
i think that if people knew it would be subjected to luck they would
be quicker to find a compromise solution)

and there may be other methods, including other possible mechanisms
for randomized selection.

but who knows what will be the right method, or whether one method
will fit all.  i think the recommendation itself did not favor any
particular method.

a.