[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Danny Younger dannyyounger at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 11:37:38 EDT 2007

Hi Lee,

It wasn't so much that auctions were rejected in favor
of another approach, rather it was the case that
auctions weren't even considered or discussed by those
GNSO constituencies (notably the Business
Constituency) that at the earlier Washington session
had already made their minds up that they hated the
concept of auctions.

Until...

they realized that their constituency members
absolutely needed to have auctions in order to secure
for themselves at the second level certain
single-character reserved names -- Overstock wanted to
get O.COM and Yahoo wanted Y.COM, and the only way
they could be reasonably sure of obtaining these was
to agree to the concept of domain name allocation by
way of auction.

So now the opposition to auctions seems to have
quickly melted away -- I never cease to be amazed at
how greed manages to displace strongly held views...

Feel free to continue pushing for auctions; you may
now have a more receptive audience.

regards,
Danny

=== message truncated ===