[governance] For you as an Internet user, what is a "Critical Internet resource"?

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon Oct 1 10:46:31 EDT 2007

Norbert Bollow wrote:
> This category of topics belongs into a "information society economics"
> panel, workshop or whatever, which I would be happy to organize for
> the 2009 IGF, but please, the issue of transitioning to a layer-three
> protocol with enough address numbers that everyone can get some
> globally-unique ones is important and should not be diluted by talking
> about electricity, general development economics or other topics which
> are also important but concerning which international coordination is
> not so critical to the future of the internet.

I agree.  Responses to this thread have broadened the range of
definitions of critical Internet resources to the extent that the term
no longer bears any useful meaning at all.  One more cynical than I
might even attribute this to an agenda to sabotage the hard-won
inclusion of this topic on the Rio agenda.  Without going that far, I do
think that to allow the CIR session to lose focus would leave those who
called for its inclusion unsatisfied, with predictable results.  I don't
see the need for us, of all people, to continue to beat around the bush
here.  As we all really know, CIR essentially means the technical
coordination functions of ICANN and the RIRs.  I can't see that coming
up with new definitions of what else it *could* mean serves any useful
purpose.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org