[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Fri Nov 30 16:01:13 EST 2007

Happy people, the Bulgarians in Sofia -- here in Rio, we have only two
providers (one is the near-monopoly of cable TV controlled by Carlos
Slim, the other is the regional telco private monopoly), like in the
USA, limited to 8 Mb/s, at prices many times higher than in Western
Europe. In state capitals in the Northern and Northeastern region,
prices might be 200 times higher than in Western Europe, and in most of
these capitals there is only one broadband provider, at speeds much
lower than 8 Mb/s. Unbundling, although recommended by ANATEL, is
opposed by the regional monopolies and of course does not exist.

To complete the "freedom of choice" picture, broadband providers in BR,
all of them (Comcast included, which runs satellite services in BR --
see EFF's actions agains Comcast violations in the USA here:
http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2007/11/28) practice all sorts of net
neutrality violations.

So much for choice, like in the USA.... :(

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org