[governance] Are Internet users powerless or empowered, and how?

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Nov 30 15:31:17 EST 2007

At 11:20 11/30/2007  -0800, Karl wrote:

>For example, yes, we users have great power in the marketplace to
>select ISP's and the like.

This sounds strange. At least in New York City there is a choice -
between cable Internet and Verizon. Both are at the same price, more
or less. Is this really a choice? Compare: in Sofia, Bulgaria you can
choose among about 20 big ISPs, and about 500 smaller  (true, in the
whole city, not each of them covers all of the buildings).
In New York you can choose between "business" and "family" or
something like that plan. Speeds - up to 6Mbps. In Sofia - tens of
plans, speeds - up to 1000 Mbps. Prices - adequate: in New York City
it is more expensive than in Sofia. I call that a choice.

But, again, that is my own, non US-centric, point of view. Or, rather, fact?

veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org