[governance] IG questions that are not ICANN [was: Irony]

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Nov 30 02:28:38 EST 2007

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [...]

To your fine list I'd add two more items

5. Mechanisms to give end users (or their agents, usually their local
ISP's) a means to interact with packet carriers so that it is possible
(perhaps with the payment of some money) to obtain adequate end-to-end
assurances (not guarantees) that the packet transport quality, as
measured in terms of delay, jitter, packet loss, and overall bandwidth,
is adequate to sustain the user's application.   This kind of thing is
quite important to assure that a region's or a user's investment in
things like VoIP isn't erased because it can't be used across the wide
span of the net.

(A note of clarification - I'm not thinking anything technical here -
not a new version of RSVP - but rather some sort of clearing house
mechanism in which this kind of end-to-end agreement among a sequence of
carriers can be worked out.)

6. Mechanisms to facilitate the detection, isolation, and repair of
technical faults in the net.  Right now there are some informal systems
that allow repair and troubleshooting teams at user sites and in
provider network operations centers to look a bit what is going on on
the net - modulo the proprietary concerns of each provider.  As the net
grows more complex troubleshooting and repair will require that
providers let repair teams look a bit deeper into the providers forming
a path across the net.  This process may need a degree of governance, or
rather a degree of facilitation (governance perhaps being too strong a
word) to help make this kind of thing a smooth undertaking.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org