[governance] Innovation

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Nov 28 07:12:06 EST 2007

Hi Jacqueline,

Le 28 nov. 07 à 12:40, Jacqueline A. Morris a écrit :

>> Last but not least, it seems that an opinion on ICANN could only be
>> valued if expressed within a given framework,
>
> I agree - seems to me sometimes that it has to be from the currently
> dominant NA/Euro perspective, but I'm OK with a given framework for
> discussion as long as it serves the purpose of constructive dialogue.

I also agree on this, but this was not my point, actually. I would
say that this (NA or Euro perspective -- as they're different) is due
to the dominance of players from this area/perspective (no need to be
from this geographical area to adopt such perspective: back to Frantz
Fanon), and this is by no way specific to ICANN discussions.

>> from inside the institution, and in its own best interests (which are
> equated to "the
>> Internet's best interests").
>
> I disagree, some of the most passionate opinions expressed to date
> in this
> thread are most emphatically anti-current structure, and some from
> outside
> the "institution" and some from ex-members of the "institution".

Actually, my last point (given framework + from inside + in ICANN
best interests) was directly referring to numerous messages posted by
Kieren, explicitely in his capacity of ICANN General Manager of
Public Participation. No need to provide quotes, I think, specially
since one may look into the list archives. Kieren: no personal attack
here, simply I find very strange this approach to institutions.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org