[governance] Innovation

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Nov 28 06:27:26 EST 2007

Le 28 nov. 07 à 04:40, Lee McKnight a écrit :

> Meryem, Alejandro,
>
> Can I try to redirect as the lawyers say?

:)

> One can look at ICANN as half full: [...]
> One can also look at ICANN as half empty: [...]

Right (although I'm not sure of the proportions:)

> I suspect the 2 of you won't agree on which view is accurate.
> Which is fine.

I agree, but the main problem I see here, Lee, is that this doesn't
seem fine to everyone. If this was indeed fine, then we could have
quiet discussions, with any view being expressed, contradicted, etc.
avoiding caricatures and other "arguments" like: "paranoia",
"obsession", "prejudice", "lack of knowledge", "parochiality", etc.
Last but not least, it seems that an opinion on ICANN could only be
valued if expressed within a given framework, from inside the
institution, and in its own best interests (which are equated to "the
Internet's best interests"). Frankly, do you know of any other
institution for which you are opposed such prerequistes to any
criticism?

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org