[governance] Innovation

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Nov 27 22:20:05 EST 2007

Meryem, Hello.

>Hi Adam,
>
>Le 27 nov. 07 à 17:30, Adam Peake a écrit :
>
>>[...] It's taken along time to get all the ALAC
>>structures in place, now's time to see if they
>>work.
>
>So, ICANN and supporters set up this with no
>single clue of whether this could work or not?

"no single clue", no. A lot of thought and effort
went into the ALAC structure.  But like the
elections before, it's an experiment in global
representation/participation.  So no one could be
sure if it would work or not.  Can only try to
make a go of it, and I think it's getting
close/has a chance.

>>Right now they are not working,
>[...]
>>
>>The elections did not work.
>[...]
>
>So, neither ALAC nor the elections have worked.

No, I didn't say that (others also.)  The ALAC
might work, just needs to be tried. The elections
were far from perfect, but I think they should
have been tried again, see if a few obvious
improvements made them work OK.  Though with
hindsight I doubt they would have been
sustainable (or sensible).

>Isn't it time to think that the reasons for
>which they haven't worked is linked to ICANN
>global failure, and to really start considering
>some other construction?!

I don't agree ICANN has been a global failure.
But if ALAC proves ineffective then of course
time to think of a new structure.

>>  ALAC should look to the GAC as a model for its
>>power. Worry less about having a couple of
>>board members, instead have the bylaws say your
>>opinions must be taken into account
>[...]
>
>It's not working, in particular it's not
>representative, and on top of this it should
>have more power?

I didn't say it's not working.  If it does work
then I agree with Avri it should look to the GAC
model as the way to go forward.

>I'm wondering why people on this list spend
>their time explaining how and why things are not
>working, and still don't want to give up on
>ICANN as it is. Too much investment already?
>Other interests? Fear that things get worse?
>What exactly?

I was trying to say it (ALAC) might work.  Just
needs people to try and make it work, it's not
done yet.

>(NB. I do understand why people/organizations
>that currently benefit from ICANN in one way or
>another want to keep their privileges. What
>about others?)

Others -- I guess we also want to maximize our privileges...

Best,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org