[governance] Innovation

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Nov 27 18:29:56 EST 2007

Le 27 nov. 07 à 20:13, Alejandro Pisanty a écrit :

> Meryem,
>
> this:
>
>> (NB. I do understand why people/organizations that currently
>> benefit from ICANN in one way or another want to keep their
>> privileges. What about others?)
>
> is really the core of your argument, isn't it?

No. I was not making an argument in this message actually. I was
asking a question.

> You do not see a benefit in increased competition, gradual
> introduction of new gTLDs, increased coordination between the gTLD
> and the ccTLD space, a framework for a level of cooperation among
> RIRs not provided by the NRO, and between the different subsystems
> for the subset of critical Internet resources in this specific
> mandate, operation of the IANA function with respect to gTLDs,
> ccTLDs, protocol parameters, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, gTLD data
> escrow to protect consumers from registry/ar breakdown's fallout,
> IDNs in the root, presence of technical, business, academic and
> civil society from the developing world which is not mediated or
> impeded by their governments, etc. etc. etc.

Wow! God bless ICANN. Without it, we cannot have all this, then? And
before it was set up, we couldn't even dream of all this, right? I
wont even comment on your last sentence, and what it reveals
("developing world governments can only *impede* the presence of
their technical, business, academic and civil society"). Simply agree
with you that the introduction of new gTLDs is *very* gradual..

> Then your argument is that the hard-working Vittorios, Avris,
> Brets, Jacquelines, and so many others involved in the ALAC, and
> all others who actually make the system run, are only doing it to
> defend "privileges"?

Et voila.. I ask "what about others?", and that's the only way you've
found to answer? It would probably better if you don't answer instead
of the concerned persons, BTW.

> Or do you include among "those who benefit from ICANN" the many
> businesses, social organizations, and individuals who benefit from
> what is described three paragraphs above? What are their
> "privileges"? A stable, expanding DNS, IP allocation system, IANA,
> protocol-parameter space, etc., are "privileges"?

God bless ICANN, once again. Since everything's perfect, why are we
having such discussions?

     governance at lists.cpsr.org