[governance] Innovation

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Nov 27 13:40:59 EST 2007

Hi Adam,

Le 27 nov. 07 à 17:30, Adam Peake a écrit :

> [...] It's taken along time to get all the ALAC structures in
> place, now's time to see if they work.

So, ICANN and supporters set up this with no single clue of whether
this could work or not?

> Right now they are not working,
[...]
> The elections did not work.
[...]

So, neither ALAC nor the elections have worked. Isn't it time to
think that the reasons for which they haven't worked is linked to
ICANN global failure, and to really start considering some other
construction?!

>  ALAC should look to the GAC as a model for its power. Worry less
> about having a couple of board members, instead have the bylaws say
> your opinions must be taken into account
[...]

It's not working, in particular it's not representative, and on top
of this it should have more power?

I'm wondering why people on this list spend their time explaining how
and why things are not working, and still don't want to give up on
ICANN as it is. Too much investment already? Other interests? Fear
that things get worse? What exactly?
(NB. I do understand why people/organizations that currently benefit
from ICANN in one way or another want to keep their privileges. What
about others?)

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org