[governance] Innovation

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Nov 27 11:30:35 EST 2007

Pretty much agree with Bret and Avri. It's taken along time to get
all the ALAC structures in place, now's time to see if they work.
Right now they are not working, information's not flowing down (from
ICANN, ALAC etc) and generally there's no mechanism for users to
contribute back.  These's no means for "bottom-up" to happen.  But
that might be fixed (I know there are people trying to fix it...)
(Jacqueline, if you read this... I know a few of the 100+ ALS do
distribute information, 90% or more do not.)  Anyway, ALAC's not dead
yet.

The elections did not work.
North America was OK (if we ignore the massive imbalance in voting
pool. Likely permanent US seat, Canada and a few other
disenfranchised.)
Asia Pacific was a a nationalistic mess. It was not a fair election
in the AP region.
Latin America dominated by a national campaign in the country with
the largest population (significantly largest population). Others
didn't stand a chance.
Europe, the person elected seems to have been strongly supported by a
special interest campaign.
Africa, the voting pool was so small as to make the election almost irrelevant.

And I mean no disrespect to those elected, some left a good legacy,
most seemed to work hard at their tasks.

Karl, you were a Director, but you had no constituency and you didn't
make any attempt to communicate with the "at large".  Or perhaps I'm
wrong and you'll show a set of mailing lists archives where you and
the other 4 at large directors solicited comments on the issues you
were discussing and voting on. We had a vote and no voice, not your
fault, you weren't given the right tools.  ALAC might do better,
*might*.

Had ICANN listened to At-Large Study Committee (Chuck Costello was
right) and tried elections again following an improved process
--pretty much the conclusion of both the ICANN at large study and
NAIS group (I was also a member)-- then things might have worked out.
I believe elections were worth trying to get right. But that was
then, suspect over time annual elections would have been too much of
a drain on ICANN resources and on the community.  Only have to look
at how any group (this caucus, ALAC) obsesses over selecting people
and as a result doesn't get any real work done.  Also perhaps too
expensive for ICANN to do properly.

Also very much agree with Avri -- ALAC should look to the GAC as a
model for its power. Worry less about having a couple of board
members, instead have the bylaws say your opinions must be taken into
account, see <http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#XI-2.1h> h
through k.

Shame this discussion's not happening on the ALAC mailing list, subscribe:

<mailto:alac-request at atlarge-lists.icann.org?subject=subscribe>

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org