[governance] preparing for IGF 2008

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Nov 27 08:03:02 EST 2007

Adam Peake schrieb:
> Are the themes right? Should any be dropped, should any be added?
To my understanding, there was a general feeling that the first "main
themes" have been discussed enough, and that we need to focus on new ones.
The emerging issues session for example showed that there is an increasing
need to discuss anonymity, identification and privacy on the internet - I
guess this would be a good new theme. Or the whole human rights theme,
which as Max has emphazised could even be linked to tangible outcomes
integrated by the Bill of Rights DC.

I also have the feeling that people are getting sick of just sitting in a
room and passively listening to powerpoint presentations for hours. This
is not what you call "workshop" in natural language. Of all the events I
was involved in, the Privacy Coalition meeting got the best feedback by
far, because we had no presentations whatsoever, but instead asked people
about their ideas and where they were willing to contribute and work with
us. The result was a very engaged mix of discussing, brainstorming and
volunteering - and this at 8:30 in the morning on the last day!

Maybe this is my general sentiment: The IGF must focus on outcomes now
(not necessarily stuff adopted in the plenary, but outcomes of workshops,
coalitions, best practice collections, etc.), otherwise it will turn into
just another conference. And I have the feeling that most people trust
each other enough after two IGF meetings and numerous consultations that
they really want to collaborate.

Best, Ralf
     governance at lists.cpsr.org