ALAC issues (was: Re: [governance] Innovation)

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Mon Nov 26 14:49:01 EST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Kieren McCarthy wrote:
 >If there is a bottleneck, or a procedural problem, or a structural
issue?

I've given this a fair amount of thought recently, in large part
because the ALAC proved itself incapable of reacting to an ICANN call
for comments on a fairly important issue, in spite of the fact that
the work was done for it by a long time ALAC supporter (me). You can
see my comment to the ALAC here:

http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/alac_atlarge-lists.icann.org/
2007q4/002359.html

I think one part of the ALAC's problem is that it is composed of
organizations, but the people involved are not authorized to speak on
behalf of those organizations in all instances. Most organizations
need some formal approval process before they sign their names to a
policy document, and they are usually and understandably unwilling to
attach their names to something that is not core to their mission and/
or is poorly understood by their leadership. ICANN matters are rarely
core to anyone's missions and almost always poorly understood by
those not involved on a daily basis.

To solve this, the ALAC could (a) abandon the organizational model
and move to an individual membership model; or (b) asks organizations
to appoint one member from the ALS to serve as liaison to the RALO,
but free him or her to act in a personal capacity, not as a
representative of the organization. I'm sure there are more
possibilities as well.

--
Bret Fausett (skype me at "lextext")
smime.p7s is a digital signature