[governance] Rudeness tectics (was Re: Reinstate the Vote)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Nov 23 12:37:41 EST 2007

Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:

> On 23 nov 2007, at 08.09, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>
> > Given that the use of rudeness tectics against specific people with
> > the goal of reducing their ability to effectively communicate their
> > viewpoints is a significant problem in internet-based group
> > dosucssions, I would suggest that it should be considered part of the
> > substance of internet governance discussions to figure out how this
> > problem should be addressed.
>

> i think defining rudeness will be as difficult as defining morality.
>
> we would also need to study the use of accusations of rudeness
> in their tactical role in internet discussion.
>
> while i do think it would make for a interesting academic exercise
> and if i can find a student who also thinks it a cool subject would
> try to support that research, i am not sure that it is quite ready
> to be considered a substantive part of the Internet Governance debate.

Hmm... while I agree that such an "academic exercise" would he helpful
by illuminating the inherent subjectiveness of the notion of rudeness,
and perhaps also with regard to evaluating in a somewhat objective
manner any proposals for reducing the incentives for rudeness, it
wouldn't eliminate the need to look for solutions for the problem.

Hence I don't see any reason to delay making rudeness and its dual
problem (accusations of rudeness) one of the substantive topics of
internet governance discussions.

>   ps, was this rude?

IMO no - I perceive your reply as a reasonable expression of a
reasonable viewpoint in response to my posting.  Of course it's quite
ok that your viewpoint differs significantly from mine - in fact
getting replies from people whose perspective is different from mine
is for me the main benefit from participating in discussions...

Gruss,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                    http://Norbert.ch