[governance] Rudeness tectics (was Re: Reinstate the Vote)

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 23 12:12:07 EST 2007

At 11:56 AM -0500 11/23/07, Avri Doria wrote:
>i think defining rudeness will be as difficult as defining morality.
>
>we would also need to study the use of accusations of rudeness
>in their tactical role in internet discussion.
>
>while i do think it would make for a interesting academic exercise and if
>i can find a student who also thinks it a cool subject would try to
>support that research, i am not sure that it is quite ready to be considered
>a substantive part of the Internet Governance debate.
>
>a.
>
> ps, was this rude?

Depends on the culture from which the judgment is made, doesn't it?

And if a group - who use the 'Net to discuss - doesn't develop, and sanction to ensure, its own standards for acceptable, non-rude behavior (for instance, when discussing the topic of net governance), the discussion will have a hard time getting much of anywhere.

And yes, it has a lot to do with a person's formative ('first seven') years.  Which is one reason, of several, why there is 'membership' in groups.

David
     governance at lists.cpsr.org