[governance] Re: DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Nov 20 17:07:26 EST 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 04:24:43PM -0800,
>  Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote
>  a message of 116 lines which said:
>
>> Then there is the broader view of consistency, a view that I hold:
>> That different root systems may offer different TLDs, but that where
>> a TLD name is in common (e.g. .net or .org or .com, etc) that it has
>> precisely the same contents, i.e. the delegation is the same.
>
> That's a reasonable thing to do but you never provided a way to
> implement it.

Actually I did but given the flutter on this thread it easily may have
been overlooked.

What I suggested is that the existing law of trade/service marks does
most of the trick.  The existing legal system provides a context and set
of mechanisms that allow those who offer goods/services (such as a TLD)
to resolve who has the right to use that mark (the TLD name).

In addition, enlightened self interest will suggest to a root operator
that is deciding what TLDs should be in its root zone to avoid those
disputed TLDs.

> If there is a body in charge of this enforcement, congratulations, you
> have invented a new ICANN and we have one root again.

We don't need a new overlord of TLD names; the existing legal systems
coupled with the desire of root providers (competing root server groups)
to avoid creating surprising results for their users (and thus causing
themselves support costs and reputation harm) will shun those TLDs in
which the disputants refuse to come to a settlement.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org