Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sat Nov 17 10:28:02 EST 2007

Veni, why do you think that being from a given country makes it
compulsory for someone to approve and be proud of everything coming
from this country?

This liminary note being made, the Minitel (which by the way was not
created by the military) didn't make it on the world arena not
because all services were in French (translations would have been
easy), but for many other reasons, like that at that time France
Telecom was a public monopoly, with no real interest in
commercializing it worldwide. When circumstances changed, the Minitel
and its models (technical, contractual, economic.. models) were
entirely obsolete w.r.t. Internet developments, and specially web
developments.

What's great about the minitel is that the device was distributed for
free to all French telephone users (individuals, administration,
businesses..), in the early 80s, and that made it widely used by the
population, with many public and private services available, some for
free, others with payment. The bad side of the story is that this
situation has delayed a lot Internet developments in France, and
specially its use by a large public: in the mid 90s, the minitel
penetration rate was at its peak.

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org