Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Fri Nov 16 10:17:10 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 04:38:49PM -0800,
 Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote
 a message of 115 lines which said:

> Users do not need some $50,000,000 a year bureaucracy to
> "coordinate" away surprise any more than they need a bloated
> bureaucracy to tell 'em to avoid a stinky skunk.

People may be more familiar with skunks than with the DNS. Yes, it is
partly an issue of consumer protection. A lot of providers do bad
things with the DNS (RFC 4924, section 2.5.2 gives a good example),
relying on the fact that the poor user is not in a good position to
understand what is going on.

> Moreover, competing roots have existed for years - I went forth and
> used them for several years for myself and my company - they do not
> cause things to break.

Because they are very small and used only by a small minority.

> Consequently, those who are on the side of demanding the suppression of
> competing roots

I don't remember asking for a genocide. Just that we do not suggest
alternative roots as a solution to Internet governance problems.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org