Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Fri Nov 16 12:02:33 EST 2007

I keep trying to think long-term, considering the Internet is still in
its infancy in a fast process of very complex growth (we still see a lof
of debris of the initial late nineties' explosion passing by).

I asked Vint and Bob (Kahn), yesterday at the IGF Emerging Issues panel,
about the current names-and-numbers paradigm and whether there will be a
paradigm shift (along the lines described by Thomas Kuhn) -- a scenario
in which a "semantic Web" will dominate finding of any information space
(the largest significant glimpse of it being Google search) and
eventually totally replacing the URL approach (at least at the user
level) to locate information and services. Thus, domain to number
resolution will we pushed so far in the background that it will become
irrelevant regarding the current business model on top of which the
Icann system sits.

Vint of course agreed this is already happening somehow, and so did Bob.

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org