[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Update on the CS self-nomination process for GAID Strategy Council - need more volunteers and more candidates

Ronda Hauben ronda.netizen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:12:50 EST 2007

Its a bit disheartening to see that there is only a nomination issue rather
than a discussion of what the state is of what is happening and what the
views are on what it would be good to see happening.

It would be more appropriate to think of nominations coming out of a process
of some serious discussion.

Just yesterday I asked the General Assembly President at a press briefing at
the UN about what was happening as the follow up to WSIS.

The 2nd committee has a resolution to be taken up today asking for a report
on the state of affairs since the World Summit activities in Geneva and
Tunis.

Resolutions A/C.2/62/L.28 and A/C.2/62/L.35 are draft resolutions for the
General Assembly 2nd commmittee on "Information and communication
technologies for development" which are to be taken up this afternoon in the
2nd committee.

They essentially call for a report "on the status of implementation of and
follow-up to the outcomes of the World Summit on the Information Society."

Otherwise very little attention and activity is in general being given to
the issues that were raised in the WSIS despite the fact there was lots of
excitement during the Geneva and Tunis events.

One issue I see as important is a serious discussion over whether the
problem of spreading the Internet is merely a problem of lack of resources
or is it that the way the problem is being framed is not appropriate.

In my research and writing about the history and impact of the Internet I
have seen that the early efforts at spreading the Internet was generally a
question of a research and development group doing the work to apply the
knowledge to the particular circumstances of the situation.

In general the more people interested in development issues know of this
background and history the more they can learn from and build on what has
been done.

Yet in the current activity regarding spreading the Internet in development
situations it seems that emphasis instead is on how to get business
involved.

This seems to assume that the knowledge of what is appropriate for
development is already understood and only a matter of getting the proper
products to this new market.

With regard to the continuing spread of the Internet I was to propose this
is a detour from what is a more appropriate direction forward.

with best wishes

Ronda

See for example the articles on the spread of Unix in
http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook

On 11/16/07, CONGO - IS <wsis at ngocongo.org> wrote:

> [Please note that by using 'REPLY', your response goes to the entire list.
> Kindly use individual addresses for responses intended for specific people]
>
> Click http://wsis.funredes.org/plenary/ to access automatic translation of
> this message!
> _______________________________________
>

>  Dear all,
>

> This is to remind you the on going CS self-nomination process to the GAID
> Strategy Council. Now that the IGF has come to an end, I would like to
> encourage you once more to volunteer for the Nominations Committee, as well
> as nominate valuable candidates.
>

> So far *we have only 9 volunteers* for the NomCom – much less than half
> way to go since we would need 25 to make the random selection process really
> random.
>

> More critically we have a very small number of candidates. I think I *only
> have 2*.
>

> Best,
>

> Ph

Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet

http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook