Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Nov 16 06:54:05 EST 2007

Meryem Marzouki wrote:

> My dear Veni, I'm afraid this kind of saying exists almost
> everywhere. It simply illustrates conservatism, inertia, lazziness,
> fear of any new idea, defense of privilege, etc. No, the current
> model is not working. It's technically working, but it's not
> politically working. From a general interest public policy view, it's

Umm.. if it doesn't work technically, it just doesn't work, period.

If it doesn't work politically, what globally scoped / international
initiative "works" in that sense?

Especially when, if you herd most of the IGF attendees into a room, shut
your eyes and pick any four, oh let's see .. Auerbach, Mueller, me and (say)
our friend the Cameroonian journalist, getting them to achieve consensus
among each other is going to be almost impossible (assuming that all the
parties even have an idea of just how to do it - ideals, ideology and
rhetoric don't quite qualify)

> in good faith - would be enough to put to the proof any proposal. And
> I would recommend here to consider the Russian's genius in chess
> rather than in sayings.

Oh, it is not just Russian. The Americans tend to say "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it"

Oooh, look.. consensus. If at least in folk wisdom.

> What does that mean exactly? It needs precision. Which law, where to
> enforce it, for which crime or offence? And do you really think these
> problems are currently solved?

And what, in this new and hopefully decentralized system of igov, is going
to lead to a solution for this?

Criminal law enforcement tends to work and has evolved along fairly sound
lines, over decades before there was an Arpanet even.

> Do you seriously mean that such problems would be created, that they
> don't already exist?

No. Just entirely that much harder to solve.

regards
suresh

     governance at lists.cpsr.org