Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Nov 15 21:08:43 EST 2007

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Karl Auerbach wrote:
>
>> Where is the source of power, of legal authority, to deny existence to
>> those who wish to offer competing DNS roots?

> No legal authority as such.
>
> However, there's no shortage of crackpot alternate roots already out there.

I agree completely.  This whole issue has been colored by the absolutely
terrible operational behavior of most competing root operators.  They
have often been completely disorganized and sometimes engaged in overt
violation of broadly accepted and practiced written internet technical
standards.  I was quite disgusted with many of them.

And in contrast the behavior of the legacy root operators has been so
superlative (yet under appreciated) that they have created a gold
standard that any other should strive to attain.

But none of this vitiates the fact that consistent - again I stress the
word consistent - competing roots are a valid tool.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org