Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Nov 15 17:17:21 EST 2007

I can see that we are diametrically of different minds on the
desirability of competing root systems - provided that they are
consistent with one another (I suspect that neither of us want
inconsistent root systems to arise and, if they did, we would both hope
that internet users would shun them back into non-existence.)

I'm glad you did not raise the non-issue that competing roots are
technologically impossible or would cause the internet sky to fall, the
stock markets to collapse, and the internet revert to paper tape carried
by pigeons (IP over Avian Carrier - RFC1149).

The main point that I draw from our discussion is that competing roots,
while clearly subject to disagreement about their merits, are feasible
and, indeed, can not be technically prevented should someone undertake
the effort (and risk to their money) to give it a try.

Nor does there seem to be any legal way to prevent 'em, apart from the
obvious matter that any misrepresentation about their visibility and
usability would violate local laws found in pretty much every
jurisdiction around the world.  But if consumers are given the
information to make knowing and informed choices - then such laws would
not usually apply.

As for my .ewe TLD - it runs and resolves names.  It is in several of
the non NTIA/ICANN/Verisign root zones.  However, as I mentioned, many,
if not all, of those are abysmally run and do not have accurate
delegation records.  The .ewe online registration system is only
partially formed, but I have provided several registrations using the
same method used when I originally got my domain names (usually from the
NIC at SRI) - by direct contact.

That hardly makes .ewe invalid.  It is only because ICANN acts as a
combination in restraint of trade that .ewe - and for that matter IOD's
.web - have not had a chance to succeed (or flop) on their own merits.

If we were to simply change our mental attitudes - remove the dogma that
says that we have to knee jerk condemn any attempt to create a new root
system outside the NTIA/Verisign/ICANN root zone definition - then
perhaps we might see whether the natural forces of innovation would give
us a way out of the centralized, single point of failure for the
internet caused by the NTIA/ICANN approach.

We should recognize that NTIA/ICANN have poisoned the soil by
anathametizing any attempt to exist outside their catholic [lower case
'c'] NTIA/ICANN church-of-the-single-root.  After ICANN's year 2000
expropriation of $2,000,000 in TLD application fees and the 7 year limbo
for those 40 applicants, investment interest has shifted elsewhere.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org