Alternative DNS systems and net neutrality - Was: Re: [governance] DNSsec and allternative DNS system

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Nov 15 06:19:54 EST 2007

Le 15 nov. 07 à 11:18, Phil Regnauld a écrit :

> Meryem Marzouki (marzouki) writes:
>>  There are alternatives to a "laissez-faire", marked-oriented
>> approach. Since
>>  this list is - sometimes - discussing global governance issues,
>> why not
>>  elaborating and discussing a way to guarantee that any -
>> "boutique" or not -
>>  TLD should be found in any root system, *provided* that they obey
>> some
>>  simple rules to ensure overall consistency (like, e.g., a TLD
>> string should
>>  be unique: a unique .com, a unique .org, etc., but also a
>> unique .karl if
>>  anyone finds any interest in such a TLD.
>
> 	You're actually inferring what some of the P2P DNS projects are
> working on.

No. More exactly, I'm inferring that there must be an enforceable
global public policy implementing these principles, so that
centralized or P2P or any other DNS architecture does not matter
w.r.t. to this policy. If P2P appears to technically better meet this
objective than many coordinated centralized systems, then fine: at
this step, I don't care. What I don't want is to have "niche" (P2P or
anything else -- there are already alternative roots) DNS systems,
that are not resolved everywhere, and specially not at mainstream nodes.
Because, in the end, what only matters is that x at x-place.x-boutique-
tld, y at y-place@y-boutique-tld AND z at mainstream-place.mainstream-tld
can communicate, with their only concern being what they want to tell
each other.

>>  Who would check that these rules are obeyed? Well, isn't this
>> exactly the
>>  role of a global internet governance institution? Yes, I know,
>> this requires
>>  a lot of elaboration and discussion, not that simple, but a huge
>> step
>>  forward would be accomplished if only we could agree on the
>> principle that
>>  such a discussion should be started.
>
> 	It's already happening.

Then please tell me where it's happening at global level, with all
interested parties involved and with prior agreement on the principle
that such global public policy is desirable. For sure, it's not at
IGF. And it's not even on this list. Unless I missed something.

Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org