[governance] European Parliament meeting the Civil Society - 13 November, 13:00-15:00

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Nov 14 03:22:35 EST 2007

Brief notes from this meeting

IN attendance

EP delegation of about 7, including 4 parliamentarians

ISOC delegation of about 4

Renate and Philippe from CONGO and myself

No-one else I recognize as a regular participant on this list

3-4 others, no Latinos, no Africans, no Asians

EP want to regularly consult with civil society

Noted cs not represented sufficiently with opening ceremony

Their main proposal is national and regional IGF structures

ISOC and ISOC France explained their background and reiterated concept of
forum that should discuss only and not make any recommendations

Renate mentioned importance of multistakeholder approach

Parliamentarian asked us all to explain what we were doing with governments
in our own countries

I spoke about the need for another dimension here of global work on issues
citing examples such as cybercrime and googleisation. I said I thought it
would be a great pity if we had 5 years of discussion and no outcomes and no
action. I asked what we might actually achieve from IGF.

Parliamentarian mentioned that he thought main value was hearing different
points of view on issues.

Some discussion on need to discuss further between meetings perhaps using
working groups

One gentleman spoke strongly about access needs.

Overall a disappointing involvement of CS and I wonder why this is so. Is
European parliament irrelevant or are we just disorganized?

Ian Peter

   _____