[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Nov 13 04:07:17 EST 2007

Taran Rampersad <cnd at knowprose.com> wrote:

> > For example, with many spam filter systems, email messages containing
> > Christian religious words have a much higher probability of being
> > falsely classified as spam.  That is a violation of net neutrality
> > with regard to freedom of religion.
> >
> I could take that a step further and state that I find all Christian
> email messages that demand I surrender my heathen Buddhist soul to be
> spam; that their freedom of speech and religious self expression trods
> on my own personal freedoms just as ringing my doorbell to 'share their
> word' with me is a disturbance of my peace - an unwelcome intrusion on
> the sanctity of my privacy so that they can shove their beliefs down my
> throat.

I was thinking of situtions where the intended recipient of the
message has no objections to its religious content but where the
religious content nevertheless causes the message to be misclassified
as spam.

What precisely is your definition of "spam"?  Does it significantly
differ from "unsolicited bulk email"?

I'm not opposed in principle to filtering any category of "incredibly
rude email" if a reasonable, practically verifiable definition of
"incredibly rude" can be found which does not itself violate "net
neutrality" principles, i.e. the definition should apply equally to
rude atheists and to rude religious people, and it should apply
equally to well-meaning but rude grass-rude political activists and to
rude corporate marketing people, etc...

I would suggest that it is a good strategy to focus anti-spam
activities on trying to solve the problem that there is too much
unsolicited bulk email, even if other categories of rude email also
exist which can perhaps also be considered "spam".

Greetings,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                      http://Norbert.ch