[governance] Re: spam policy (was: "Net Neutrality ...)

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Sat Nov 10 18:22:31 EST 2007

Lee McKnight ha scritto:
> I am not attacking anyone, I am critiquing the twisted 'concept' of
> network neutrality, which was planted in the policy discourse by Google
> lobbyists,

Perhaps that's the common perception in the US, but to me, network
neutrality is to be a much wider concept, that embraces the necessary
decoupling between the different roles in the chain of providing the
various pieces of a communication. Sure it goes to the advantage of
Google (the company) when applied to ISPs, but it should also go to
their disadvantage when we realize that ubiquitous content distribution
platforms such as Google (the search engine) and Youtube should be
subject to similar constraints.

In the end, network neutrality is simply another form of antitrust
enforcement, drawing its roots in the "browser war" of the mid 90's,
when Microsoft exploited its control power on the operating system
platform (the "carrier") to discriminate in favour of its own browser at
the application level (the "content" carried by the operating system).

> As I said in another note, I prefer 'universal, open, flexible access'
> as a global policy principle.

But are the two exclusive? I don't think so. I don't think that there
will be just one principle, there will be many of them.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org