[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sat Nov 10 11:53:14 EST 2007

Thomas,

My point exactly, a 'principle' defined by exceptions and nuances in the
eye of the beholder seems perfect only for theological debates on how
many neutral angels can fit on the head of a pin.

So it is not really a 'nice principle,' it's a trap set by Google
lobbyists all too many of you have fallen into. Again, nothing against
Google, love that search engine and gmail etc, but their spin-doctors,
are well, spin post-docs as I see how well they have spun many of you,
including my own esteemed colleagues ; ).

I prefer "universal, open, equitable, and flexible access" to quote from
the Caribbean Internet Governance Policy Framework Draft Version 0.1,
October 2007, as a Global Principle.

Go to
http://ctu.int/ctu/Projects/InternetGovernance/tabid/73/Default.aspx if
you wish to review the doc or post comments, perhaps explaining to
Caribbean governments why they really all would be better off talking of
network neutrality, when what they mean is universal, open, equitable
and flexible access as a shared policy principle for Internet
governance.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> narten at us.ibm.com 11/09/07 9:08 AM >>>
> I would only add to this that spam filters are best implemented with
end
> users being given maximum control over their settings.

Nice principle, but when ISPs regularly complain > 80% of the email
they carry is spam, it costs an ISP $$ to process it and deliver it to
the "edges", only to be filtered there.

Surely one can understand why they find it highly desirable to keep it
from entering their network in the first place.

Thomas
     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org