[governance] IGP Alert: "Net Neutrality as Global Principle for Internet Governance"

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:43:16 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Vittorio Bertola [mailto:vb at bertola.eu]

>Ok, I've not read the paper yet, but here is the Usual
>Question: let's say that the government of XYZland wants
>to prohibit access to child pornography content to its
>citizens, would that be inhibited by your
>definition of network neutrality?

XYZLand can make production, possession, downloading and hosting of such
content illegal in its jurisdicton. If the source (production,
publising, hosting) is outside its jurisdiction it can cooperate with
other jurisdictions to enforce internationally accepted prohibitions.

The NN principle would, however, oppose governments' attempts to reach
into the network and block URLs, or perform deep packet inspection (DPI)
intended to recognize and intercept it, etc. The blocking remedy is
often only temporarily effective and overly inclusive, where as DPI is
overly intrusive for all users.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org