[governance] Has the technical community failed wrt IPv6' .... Governance Frameworks for Critical Internet Resources'

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sat Nov 10 07:14:29 EST 2007

McTim [10/11/07 10:11 +0300]:
>On Nov 7, 2007 11:00 PM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>> Well, let me be radical about this and suggest that IPv6 has already failed
>> and will never be rolled out.
>
>Tell that to the 1000+ networks that are already announcing IPv6 prefixes!

As compared to how many that are announcing v4, again?

Most of the v6 boosting is generally koolaid, stuff like "hey look, my
fridge has a v6 address, knows I am out of beer and can contact the
supermarket's ordering system, also on v6 .." - all that's left is a
reliable way of delivering beer (or is it kool aid) over v6.

Whatever production deployment of v6, whatever v6 prefix announcing was
going to happen has happened.

Now, unless

* someone thinks of a killer app for v6 only hosts
* a major broadband / cellular carrier edge/3g rollout assigns v6 to
customers

or something on that scale, all you are left with is a few hobbyists
running tunnels, a few sites (freebsd ftp servers and such) that run dual
stack v6 + v4 machines, etc.

Drops in the bucket.

>> The world has changed since then and it's just possible that a more creative
>> way of expanding the number pool might be available to us now that wasn't
>> thought about then.
>
>Could you be more specific?

Er, I keep coming across hijacked /16s here and there, some reclamation
might help (and yes it is going on)

Then again there's no shortage of random ISPs (in the third world or the
first) whose IP allocation procedure consists of entries in an excel sheet,
and are sloppy at best about things like reclaiming space from customers,
aggregating their prefix announcements etc. I know and have talked to
various ISPs who still say "class C" for example, and probably got trained
in classful addressing too .. just cant wrap their minds around CIDR and
their network allocation methods show it.

Trimming some of that wasteful use might result in surprising savings of IP
addresses.

That's not creative, that's elbow grease and hard work. But ..

>But there will be a biz case if /when
>a) mandated (or encouraged by carrots) via gov't intervention
>b) after v4 runout

c) after the vendors kool aid supply runs out.

>> But back to Guru's question about what this has to do with governance. Quite
>> a lot. Neither IGF in it's current state or current "governance"
>> institutions of a technical nature
>
>The governance institutions that deal with these are actually
>administrative in nature.

Very true. I wish a lot more people would realize that

The RIR mechanism is actually [1] adequate [2] far better clued on how to
manage IP addresses. People of the caliber of geoff huston dont grow on
trees, strangely enough.

And when I see IP addressing arguments and even vaguer root server
arguments come in (one gentleman was assuring me that they were going to
give his country just root servers .. read root server anycast instances ..
but he held out for three, and very proud he was, never mind that most ISPs
in his country still route their packets so they take a roundtrip through
Singapore or the USA before coming back into the country...)

Great, when you consider what kind of highly informed opinions can come in
from various people who have not had control of much more than a T1 or ADSL
line with maybe a /26 ... much more interesting when the commenter is just
about good at configuring an IP address onto his laptop.

>By the time you get your "structural change" together, the IPv4 pool
>will be exhausted.  Best to work within the current system which is
>deeply engaged in finding solutions in this space!

As for the v6 space, given the way it is currently being allocated - I
guess once we get ipv9 (hallelujah for Jim Fleming!) and interstellar
internet we'll have the Intergalactic Governance Forum, and Milton
Mueller's great^n grandson can debate this with green and red spotted
tentacled aliens from the crab nebula.

regards
srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org